UK schools can be invoiced at checkout - just tick the box!

Licensing and Copyright

Thank you for choosing to perform a unique Grumpy Sheep Musical! We create each musical with great love and care, and we very much hope that you will enjoy your performances as much as we enjoy composing and writing the works. All of our musicals are copyright and you must buy a licence from us in order to perform them. (General licences which your school or organisation may have do not cover performances of musicals. You legally must have a licence from us if you are performing one of our musicals.)

If you are producing a programme for your performance please acknowledge in print that the [musical name] is written by Caroline Hoile and published by Grumpy Sheep Music, Similarly, if you are making an introductory or concluding speech, please give your audience the above information. If posting short excerpts of your performance online, please credit us as above, and use an inbound link to

Below are the general legal guidelines to the most usual licensing and copyright topics. Please read them through and if you have any further queries, please call Grumpy Sheep Music on 0191 239 9229 or email We are always happy to give advice.

NEWSFLASH! Our Covid19 Licence Promise
If you have to cancel your Christmas performance this year, just let us know and we'll happily extend your performance licence so that it's free to use in 2022. For Christmas 2021, your performance licence will allow you to record/stream your children's performance (for family and friends only) free of charge. When uploading your recordings/livestream events, you must credit Grumpy Sheep Music using an inbound link to Please note that Grumpy Sheep Music's original vocal recordings can not be posted on public websites.

For teaching purposes, the use of the material in our musicals or songbooks is freely allowed. However, if you intend to perform our musicals or songs to anyone other then staff and schoolchildren, or reproduce the lyrics of our songs, the following legal requirements must be observed:

To Perform our Musicals and Nativities...
Whether or not you charge for admission, if you perform any one of our musicals or nativities (or part of) you need to buy a performance licence for that particular musical from Grumpy Sheep Music. Our Performing Licence will allow your to put on any number of performances for the specific musical within a 9 month period. You need to buy a performance licence to perform Grumpy Sheep musicals wherever performances take place in the world. The licence protects your school/organisation against any infringement of copyright. (Please note, a Performing Rights Society (PRS) licence DOES NOT allow you to perform Grumpy Sheep musicals and nativities.)

We offer schools, nurseries, churches and playgroups several ways of obtaining Performing Rights Licences:-

a) Traditional Performing Licence
Grumpy Sheep Music licences are available to buy individually as a stand alone item on the product page of each musical online. Just select your Instant Performance Licence from the drop down box of your chosen musical at any time before your performances take place. (Please note, if you are selling tickets or wish to record your performance this licence will not cover you. Instead please copy and complete the Performance Rights Licence form found on the last page of your musical and return it to us.)

Alternatively the back page of each of our musicals incorporates a Performing Rights Licence application form. If you prefer to apply for this in the traditional way, just photocopy and complete the form, then either email or post it to us at Grumpy Sheep Music, PO Box 152, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE7 7WB. We will then assess it according to the information supplied and invoice. Please give us an accurate email address and we'll email the licence back to you asap.

You can apply for our traditional licence at any time before you intend to perform our musical. It covers unlimited performances of the specific musical for 9 months from the date of issue.

b) Advance Performing Licence
This licence can only be purchased at the same time as ordering the Book & CD of the same title. It can't be bought separately or at a later date. The Advance Licence is the cheapest way to buy a  licence to perform our musicals! The option to buy the Advance Licence online appears the drop down box of your chosen musical.

Grumpy Sheep Music advance licences allow unlimited performances of a specific musical only, within a 9 month specified period. (This licence is intended only for use by playgroups, schools, church groups etc. It is not intended for use, for example, by theatre and stage schools who need to contact us directly to obtain a licence to perform any of our works.)

If you intend to make video or audio recordings of any of our works, you must contact us to arrange a separate recording licence in order to do this. This audio/video licence can be arranged after the purchase of the advance or instant performance licence.

To Perform our Songs...
If you want to perform any of our songs in public, even on school premises, to anyone other than schoolchildren and staff, royalty payments apply. Schools often have an agreement with the Performing Rights Society (PRS) for this. If you have such an agreement, please inform the PRS about the performance of any of our songs. If your organisation does not have a PRS agreement, please contact Grumpy Sheep Music directly to obtain a licence.

To Reproduce our Lyrics...
If you intend to reproduce our song lyrics or musical scores in school or church, for example for the incorporation of lyrics into a programme, or overhead transparencies, a licence will be needed. Grumpy Sheep Music is a member of CCLI (Christian Copyright Licensing) who permit photocopying or reproduction of song lyrics and musical scores to schools and churches who hold the appropriate licences. If you hold a CCLI licence, please log the song lyrics or music that you have used in your CWCL, CWMRL, CCL or MRL report. If your organisation does not hold an appropriate CCLI licence, please contact Grumpy Sheep Music for the necessary permission.

Video, Audio and DVD Recordings
Please contact us if you want to make any audio or video recordings of any of our material, as a separate recording licence is required. This applies whether you intend to sell on any recordings or distribute them for free. The traditional licence form incorporates information about video and audio recordings, but the advance licence and instant performance licence does not. If any recordings are to be made a separate licence is required. Please let us know the total number of recordings ultimately being duplicated, not just the one original recording you will be making.

File- Sharing, Copying & Uploading
Our download files are copyright. When you purchase a digital download only you are licensed to use it, solely within your school or organisation. You must not share our files, by any means, with any other individual or group. Our downloads must not be placed on a school parent portal or the internet. Similarly our CDs must not be copied. We supply extra packs of CDs.

Helpful Contacts
The following links may be of use: